Wednesday, October 24, 2012

$5 (Or Less) Personalized Apron

If you know children like the ones I know, you probably know a lot of miniature chefs.  In an hour or less you can make an apron that is personalized and costs only $5!  I bought the children's apron at Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon costing me about $3 and the transfer paper at Target costs about 50 cents a sheet.  The example below was for a little boy who loves to barbeque with his daddy.  We are planning to make his dad a matching one for Christmas!


First, buy photo transfer paper that will work with the type of printer you have.  Then design your art.



*Before printing be sure that you click print the mirror image.  If you do not have this option you can make your image in Word Art in Microsoft Word like I did.  Then I simply went to the rotate options and clicked "flip horizontally."  I test printed it on regular paper and made sure the dimensions were right.  After tweaking the dimensions I printed on the transfer paper.  (The type of transfer paper I bought only allowed me to iron on to white fabric).
 

Next I warmed my iron setting the heat setting required by the instructions included with the transfer paper. I ironed the apron and trimmed the transfer art to the appropriate size.
  

 Patiently, I slowly ironed up and down the transfer paper for about one or two minutes until the paper started to yellow which indicated that it was ready to easily peal away leaving me with the finished product! 
*Do not iron too long because it may leave a dingy yellowish color where the area should be white.


 
Viola!  A relatively quick and adorably personalized apron for your own personal chef. 
*When ironing onto canvas I tend to always have a worn in look.

Quick tip: If you happen to have edges that seem to peel up and it's not touching any of the printed font or pictures you can take the iron and touch that spot for a moment and it will melt the rolled edge and give a smoother appearance.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...