Wednesday, September 26, 2012

SLP tip: Using a stylus as a pointer

Every kid I have gets a kick out of this little stylus. A lot of times you can find styluses at the dollar store. These can serve multiple purposes in your speech therapy session.

(If you are an SLP you realize that this picture is not upside down! This is my view with my speech kiddo!)

 Ways to use styluses or "mini-pointers" in your session:


  • Have a child use it to choose answers on a standardized assessment
  • SLP uses it to guide a student's reading
  • A child uses it when playing "I spy"
  • Motivation for receptive ID of body parts
  • Receptively answering questions in picture scenes
  • MY FAVORITE USE: Self correction cueing when targeting articulation in running speech.***I have a system with my students that I will tap the child's targeted sound in a sentence when reading. When they master marking their sounds at this level of running speech, I increase the demand by only tapping misarticulated words. I tap them until they go back and correct their error.  This is helpful because the child realizes their error and has to correct it himself. Also, I don't have to interrupt their flow of speech or bruise their tiny little egos as much by verbally commenting, thus increasing their success and attitude about their work!***


Many children like to do anything but point when you want them to for receptive identification. I love that a tiny stylus can help you decipher the exact item a child chooses more quickly and they find it more motivating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...