Thursday, December 6, 2012

DIY: Dog Bed Tutorial/Re-purposed Dog-Destroyed Throw Blanket


Here is an easy tutorial for creating a no-sew pet bed from a throw blanket. Anyone can do those- even your kiddos. It is also a great way to re-purpose your pet's favorite blanket....or your favorite blanket that your dog may have damaged. This tutorial is also unique because you can make the dog bed have its own attached blanket easily.



This was my favorite throw blanket ever. It was super soft and just my size. I loved the different textures and the look of it. 


 Then, the damage occurred from a puppy initiated game or two of tug of war, also known as "Put my favorite blanket down!",  gone wrong. I refused to let this soft thing go, however. 


To make your dog bed you need a big bag of fluff, a throw blanket made from two pieces of fabric, and a pair of scissors. (I also used half a small bag of fluff too but I think I overfilled it a bit.)


As you can see both my animals were very weary of what I was doing to the blanket they had claimed. Next, decide what size you want your dog bed to be. I just went for the halfway point where the dog bite marks were. I cut my blanket in line at that point. 


Now, cut strips that are long enough for you to tie. Mine were about 1 1/2 inch strips. I could of made them a little longer too. 


To make a dog bed without a blanket just use one side. Heck, you could even make one out of each side. To make a dog bed with a blanket we are going to knot both sides of the fringe together.


 I pulled the knots through on just one side for a clean look. Cross a strip from the bottom to the opposite top side and knot. Then, pull the other bottom strip up and tie it with the other top strip. These knots will go on top of each other. Having a blanket with two different sides makes this part easy. 


Leave yourself a hole to stuff.  My dog was not budging.


When you can't stuff anymore move the dog.


Steal the rest of your fluff from your other animals.


Now, make your last few knots and you have a beautiful seam with an un-stuffed blanket attached that they can use to cuddle under when it gets chilly. 


This would be an awesome gift for any pet lover. 


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!








1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...