Monday, November 26, 2012

DIY Tutorial: Framed Embroidery Art Pieces


My extended Thanksgiving weekend was filled with lots of fun times with family. I ended up seeing two movies, playing two new board games, watching too much football, eating too much, watching two puppies play continuously, and making too many crafts with my mom. If anyone was wondering, my husband's grandmother did like her fancy dry erase calendar and the colors I chose matched her decor perfectly! I hope it will help her stay oriented as well. Whew! 

My mom rents a booth at Peddlers Market Place (1601 Sampson St. Westlake,  LA  70669-4013) so we decided to make some things for her to sell at her booth. I'm hoping she will make an Etsy store soon because she is so talented. We broke in her new embroidery machine and broke out the hot glue gun.So, together we made little art pieces! Keep reading to see how you can make cute art or DIY gifts too!


This piece was my favorite so I got to take it home! We ended up coming up with a basic formula for our little pieces of art. We either used a frame with the glass taken out of it (so we could add 3D elements) or we used a shadow box. We added a bow with an embellishment in the center of it (these awesome stones she took from a bracelet, a cluster of beads, a jewel, or a charm), an embroidered symbol as the focus of the art, and we embellished the corners. Here I used part of a necklace for the beads and black feathers. 


Here is our wired bow with my most favorite embellishment. My mother purchased a bracelet that was made of these cool stones and just took it apart!


We ended up changing the fleur de lis heart to a cluster of beads later on on this one.


To dress this one up we used the beads as a chain for the chandelier. We only glued the connecting beads so it has a little movement.  


We used brown ink and a rubber stamp to add this detail to the burlap background.


For this next one we embroidered a purple fleur de lis on black satin type fabric.


 This bow has another jewel embellishment from a bracelet.


We added the rhinestones and the feathers for details.

How easy is that! If you don't do embroidery you could use a letter, shape, or embellishment in the center as well. I will show off more of our work soon! I hope you enjoyed!




We shared our work with these awesome blogs:

Sumo's Sweet Stuff
 Keeping It Simple





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...