Saturday, November 10, 2012

Envelope System with Printable Envelopes

If you are reading this you are either using an envelope system for budgeting or are interesting in getting your money under control, either way congratulations! My husband and I have been working to become debt free since we found out I was pregnant with my daughter (3 1/2 years ago). We are very close to debt free too. We still have a mortgage on our home and some student loans to pay off. I am only telling you this because I want you to know I am a veteran and I have lived this religiously for the entire three and a half years. It is not always easy to live on a budget but something about it is freeing. I literally feel lighter, I no longer have anxiety attacks, and I am an all around happy person. Other areas of my life have fallen into place since getting money under control: my marriage is happier (which was only possible by the birth of my sweet baby girl), my house is cleaner, I work less, I cook better, and my bank account is fatter!

The "b" word (budget) doesn't have to be a bad word.
A budget simply means that you are telling your money what to do. A budget doesn't mean you can't have fun, but it ensures that you don't over spend.  That is where the envelope system comes in handy.  I know, I know, you are thinking that you will follow your budget and you will just use your debit card not spending over your set amount of money.  This is how I thought at first too and after about 6 months of figuring out a budget that was pretty much perfect for my husband and I, we became successful with using our debit card and staying with our budget. This is good right? It's acceptable at best, but once we truly embraced the envelope system our money became even more efficient for us. I still had the same amount of money to spend each month, but I started realizing that I was getting more out of the money and I thought more about each of my purchases.  The following are the envelopes I use monthly:
  • Groceries: This includes all food, bathroom, makeup, and mostly anything you can buy at Target
  • Gas: I budget for 4 tanks a month because I travel a lot for work.
  • Entertainment
  • Out to Eat
  • Miscellaneous: This covers all of those unexpected expenses. It's just a little buffer, such as doctor bills, a flat tire, field trips, haircuts, it's a catch all really.
If for some reason we over spend on groceries or another area we typically take it out of our out-to-eat fund or our entertainment fund because those are not necessities.  The most important point of the envelope system is you only use cash and when you run out you do not get more until the next month. There are no right or wrong envelopes. You may also want to add one for clothing or sports your child attends.


Now, for the envelopes! We highly recommend that you check out Dave Ramsey's site and check out his very affordable envelope systems that you can buy. Here we have made our own (we also both own his envelopes and wallets!) with some of our favorite Dave Ramsey quotes. You can print them and use them to start your own budget envelope system and then check out Dave's site for so much more information to help you along your way. We are just Dave Ramsey enthusiasts who want to help others get on the right track as well.

Top open envelopes:


Side open envelopes:


Print your envelopes on cute scrapbook paper or just plain paper you have laying around. If you choose scrapbook paper try to stick to soft patterns. Cut your envelopes out, glue the sides and fold. Fill with your budgeted amount for your category and track what you use. You can tuck in the flap or use washi tape to keep your envelopes closed but resealable. Use them in your wallet just like your would cash. When the money is gone it is gone. It is that simple. Happy budgeting.


Update: We will be posting these printables in another format this week due to some difficulty printing. Stay tuned or shoot us your email address if you can't wait!



49 comments:

  1. How can I print this? having trouble :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. To print this, all you have to do is:
    -click on the large area of the image
    - right click
    - click on "this frame"
    - click "print"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy the envelopes. Please let me know if it works or if you need further help. Thanks for visiting our page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I absolutely love these printables! However, I tried printing using your above instructions and for some reason I can't access them. I tried saving image and then printing but it saved the thumbnail size. I'm so excited about getting back into budgeting using Dave Ramsey's system. We previously paid off all our debt using his system! But now that the debt is gone our spending isn't where it should be! Can you email me the images somehow? inspiredbygiving@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys for helping each other! Saving as a picture and printing can work too. I'll try to post our next printables in a different way. I hope these envelopes help you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for making this printable! I found it on Pinterest and we really need to knuckle down and get control of our money and get out of debt. Thanks again!
    Earla
    http://silvernstash.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much. I will definitely try this out. I think you easily loose the overlook on the money you spend when you use a credit card!

    Christina xx
    http://christinathorup.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited to find these but I have a little problem... I picked out all my pretty paper and sent them through the printer only for the outlines not to show up! I am a terrible "cutter" so, help!! I tried printing several different ways on plain paper to use as template but the lines don't print on those either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't get this to print at all. =( When I pick the image on the left it is outlined in blue if I right click and print I get a message that "the content cannot be displayed in a frame when I do print it." I tried to right click and save and it only saves a thumbnail size. I'd really like to print these, can you help? or I see maybe you can email them? Thnx. sfuchser@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great in sequence! There is something wonderful regarding "Envelope System with Printable Envelopes". I am impressed by the excellence of information on this website. There are a bundle of good quality resources here. I am sure I will visit this place another time shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Have you guys tried scribd for hosting stuff like this? It gives a great in-blog pictures, but it also creates a clickable/printable pdf file. This is a great thing you've created and I'd love to use it! I just can't print it :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful printables...I would love to print them out and use them but I just can't get them to print no matter which way I try (saving image and right clicking, etc) Do you have a fix for it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for all of the interest in our printables! Click on the printable and then hold down Ctrl and P. It will pull up the printing option and then should work. I will try to post it in another form soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't print either :( can anyone please email me the pdf? jennicahome@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anyone having trouble printing these please send us your email address and we will email you the files! We are switching our printable format this week. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to receive printable...jrmoon80@gmail.com. Thanks so much! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to be able to print these> would you mind sending the file? Thanks so much! aplampman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Can you please email these templates please. thank you
    benoitashley88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nevermind, I figured it out, thank you so much.
    Ashley B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. would you mind sharing how you got it to print?

      Delete
  20. Can I please get the printable for the envelopes? briannephillips19@gmail.com. Thank you :) You guys have amazing tips and stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am also having troubles. I have tried all of the above and am not able to print. Would you mind sending the pdf? krystacrane(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey! Love these but having trouble printing - please send them! aimeersanchez@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I figured it out. Right click on the image of the style of envelope you want to print. Select "open image in new tab" then go to that tab and click on the image to enlarge it (you should see a + when you hover your mouse over the image) then right click on the image and select "print."

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this idea! I also use Dave Ramsey's wallet with envelopes but after using it for about 18 months, it is starting to wear out! Please e-mail them to financialguru9@yahoo.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Would you mind emailing to me as well. Starting off the year the right way! lkmac98@gmail.com Kim McClelland

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would also like to have this printable! I tried some of the above suggestions and nothing has worked. Thanks! ksukelli@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't print either, HELP i love these memoriesbybrandi@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I was able to print the envelopes, but with the topopening envelopes, the writing is all scrambled together.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Also with the side opening envelopes, the writing on the envelopes is over lapping

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey! If I could get a copy of the side-open envelope templates, that would be amazing! Thank you so much! cmeijer13@hotmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Tried to print..
    I saved to my desktop and tried to print from there...
    but print out is all blury and I can't read the printing...
    it's all scrambled :(
    Any other ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks ladies! I got them to print!! I selected the 'Open this content in a new window' (which is what I saw in the box above, no pic on my screen) link, then in the upper right hand corner of the page there is a little square with and arrow pointing diagonal, click that and it opens it in a better format to print or save to your desktop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the idea and I'm teaching a Dave Ramsey FPU. However I cannot download to my MAC. Please send to email address: clbrant@mac.com. Thanks keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Could I also get a printable for this too. Kathytran612@yahoo.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi! I'm unable to print or download. May I please get a copy via email. Lgunn54@gmail.com


    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm sorry. I can't get these to print. Can you please send me the printable? ariel10730@gmail.com

    Thank you!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can't get them to print. I have tried all the different methods I see in the messages. I am anxious to get the envelopes, I REALLY NEED THEM. snow1312@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am also having difficulty printing. Prints nothing but an error code :( Would love the templates. Could you please send to brsmommy@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Can someone please send me the side open template to dani3212@aol.com
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  40. We would love you too send us the side open template to kat@kaczka.us. thank you! This is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi, these are great templates, but I also can't get them to print. Could you sent the side open template to rebeccacapitan@yahoo.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  42. May i receive a printable of these as well please ? slmccree@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are great! Thanks so much =) I went and got cardstock and printed them out..

    I'm not sure how everyone is able to see the this page but for me, there was that icon to click in the right hand corner which opened up the document in a new tab and was there to print out. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi! Did you end up posting these in a different format? I can't seem to get them to print either. Could you email me? kcgalante at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  45. hi, could you please email me these to jillanna@me.com thank you very much for all that u do!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks so much for creating these. They really helped us stay under budget last pay period.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I wanna thanks to a great extent for providing such informative and qualitative material therefore often. eddm postcard printing

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thank you so much. Love the wise quotes and sayings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...