Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Juicing



I've recently starting juicing fruits and vegetable to help improve my health and boost my immune system. This winter I just cringe as I look around at all of the sick people coughing, sneezing, and hacking in public places. It seems like they are everywhere and I am just bound to get the flu!


 I'm still fighting bronchitis and I have already battled pharyngitis, allergies, and ear infections this winter season. I do not want to get sick again. I think taking in the nutrients of 10-20 fruits and vegetables a day can do nothing but help me in this fight. Juicing, of course, has a million other health benefits too. If you are interested in what it is all about I highly recommend that you watch my favorite documentary, Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. It is available on Netfix and Hulu amongst other places.  In the documentary, Joe commits 60 days to juicing alone and in turn drops more than 100 lbs, cures his skin disease, increase his energy, inspires millions, and changes his life. It is great. So far I am just supplementing my diet with juice but I do plan on doing a juice cleanse/fast soon as well.

Here I will let you in on my journey with juicing. I will let you know how I feel about jointhereboot.com recipes I try and any I make up on my own. I will also document my juice fast/cleanse when I do it.


Here is my Breville juice. It is the same one Joe uses in the movie. I love it! This morning I made a juice in less than a minute.


 The main juice I make is Joe's Mean Grean Juice. (In the picture I made a double batch.) Here is the recipe:
  • 1 cucumber
  • 4 celery stalks
  • 2 green apples
  • 6-8 kale leaves
  • 1/2 a peeled lemon
  • 1 tbsp of peeled ginger 
Hint: A tiny bit of ginger goes a long way! Less is more. Also, I prefer to peel my cucumber but you really don't have to.



Here is my finished Mean Green juice. I love it! It tastes like a greener lemonade. It is really not bad at all.  I used to add a red apple to make it sweeter. 

When celery and cucumber are in a juice, that is mainly what you taste. You can disguise other vegetables that you don't like with those two. For instance, I have a friend who tried juicing but she absolutely hated carrot juice. If you really want to try to "eat across the rainbow" you could put carrots in this juice you wouldn't even taste them. Really, I tried it.

Here is one I made up that tasted really similar to Mean Green:

2 handfuls of spinach
1 cucumber
3 celery stalks
3 carrots
2 oranges
1 apple


This morning I made this juice recipe up:

1 cucumber
2 peeled oranges
1/2 a peeled tangerine

It tasted really good! Surprisingly, the tangerine had the strongest flavor.


I like to use blender bottles to store my juices for the day. I love that they have that little silver ball inside that helps keep my juice mixed since fresh juice separates a lot. 

I hope you are inspired to check out what juicing is all about. You will really like the movie...I promise!




Of course I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor. This is just me writing about my experiences, reviewing recipes, giving some of my own and giving you tips that have helped me. yada, yada, yada. 






1 comment:

  1. Very nice post. I love your post. You have shared a nice green juice recipes. I make juice regular myself by my juice extractor.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...